Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Questions I wished People would Ask me (Part II)

Who is your favourite tragic couple? (Fiction or Non-fiction)

Without a doubt, Heloise and Abelard. Both were intelligent, articulate real people who went through a forbidden tryst which ended tragically. But there is no sweeter couple than these two, just because their end is so heartbreaking.

...I don't know why, but their tragedy speaks to me (even if it can be almost comical in a sense) while other tragic love stories just seem lame and overly passionate like Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde, Sir Lancelot and Guinevere.

Anyway, I just remembered this question when watching a clip of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" where I found out the title of this film was taken from a poem dedicated to the couple Heloise and Abelard.

No comments:

Post a Comment