Friday, March 18, 2011

Kinetic Poetry

I just got back from a Deaf event. It's a part of my sign language class curriculum where we have to partake in deaf culture and its community. I chose to go to the St. Patrick's Day event held at George Brown college. It was just a social gathering at their lounge.

I was so nervous walking in and so awkward standing around, firstly, because I don't drink and secondly, I do not sign fluently or well. I was just so eager to actually talk to someone but didn't know how. I stood around for a while with a few people from my class and we practiced signing what we would say to them while eyeing people across the room, hoping for someone to come over to say hi. Most of them were already clustered in a group and I just wasn't comfortable enough to intrude. I also felt rude if I looked too long at them signing, as if I were eavesdropping on their conversation.

Anyway, I plucked up my courage and caught the eye of a girl sitting close by. She was so nice, and we had a good conversation while others came along to say hi. It was nice. I found that I am way more comfortable meeting people when I actually don't have to speak outloud. Also, since I'm focusing on their hands so much, there is less awkward staring where I try to figure out which eye to look into or whatever. It was nice not to feel awkward for two hours.

I would totally do this again. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment