Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Happy Life Book

A few days ago I found out an uncle of mine had written a book. I was interested when my mother told me, but that interest quickly waned away with the busyness of Holiday and such.

Today she mentioned it again and showed me their URL. Becoming curious again, I decided to look it up.

I was actually very glad I did, and reading about his reasons on writing his book, I was even more fascinated and cannot wait to read more. I have never known anyone who has written a book, although I do know some that are aspiring writers, so I'm honestly very excited to get the book and read it.

It was such a pleasant surprise to read some sample stories from his book. Basically his book talks about his own philosophy in living a happy life. He has a word for each letter of the words "Happy Life" that he abides to. Reading it made me feel very inspired and I was also very touched on how he motivated the students that he spoke to. I have a newfound respect for him.

It also reminded me on how I love meeting brilliant people. By Brilliant I mean people who have that *spark* in them. I can't quite explain it, but I find myself very drawn to them but also very intimidated. They have such a zest for life that I admire and traits that I really wish to emulate. This uncle is one of them.

I can't believe that he started his business at the age of 17! His determination really moved me. When he found out that his father's restaurant was going to foreclose, he was determined to salvage it and told the bank president that he could do so if he had a loan. The president then asked him how he thought he could do better than his dad and his dad's partner in keeping the business and this is how he responds:

"There are three reasons,” I stated. “One, I have already worked in the restaurant at various positions, including manager, dishwasher, cook, cashier, and as a server. I understand the business. Two, my father and his partner have families to take care of. They needed their salaries to pay their bills and support their families. I’m single, and have no additional expenses. I can work fifteen hours a day, seven days a week during the summer for one dollar per hour. I can eat free at the restaurant. That will ensure that I can pay the loan on time and in full when it is due.”

He looked suspiciously at me and asked, “What is the third reason?”

I scratched my head and looked at him, “I don’t have any more reasons.” We were both silent for a while. Then I finally said, “It is because you trust me.” He smiled and asked us to come back the next day to sign papers. I became a business owner two months before my eighteenth birthday. Four years later I found out that my promissory note was void because I had signed it as a minor. Mr. Robinson knew this, but still allowed me to take the loan.

Though I found myself cornered and out of options, I remained hopeful. Outlining a plan to pay back the loan, I shared a vision with Mr. Robinson.

By having patience and a positive attitude, I was able to position myself to be at the right place, the right time and was capable of making the right decision: the restaurant would continue to be in business. Yes, I could do it."

So this was a very inspiring moment for me. I really wish I could have his determination and his ambition or passion.

I admit. I am jealous. And very humbled.

Here is the URL: http://happylifebook.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment