Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Two smells

There are two smells that I do not like. (there are probably more than two, but I will only focus on this duo right now).

I do not like heavy cigarette smoke nor do I like the smell of newspaper.

I have a feeling that the combination of both will be deadly for me.

However, I like the sound and idea of the duo together. Doesn't heavy smoke and newspaper sound alluring? Almost mysterious? Smoke misting over a dark lit room where only a lamp shines on a man reading a newspaper. Very Sherlock Holmes-ish.

Also very masculine.

Yet, I really don't like the smell. I just like the idea of them. And I kind of like feeling two things about this combination. In reality, the smell of smoke is so poisonous and toxic. And Newspaper just smells inky and musty with a dirty, grungy undertone.

But in my imagination, they are magical. The smell of cigarette becomes sweet, like a heavy, spicy, ginger scent. And the smell of newspaper is obscured by the idea of someone sitting in an leather arm chair reading in the library where the hint of sweet cigarette is mixed with the smell of leather books and dusty paper.

MMmmm... the imagination is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment